280 inch bull elk

Mag. In the question of Is the .280 Remington within the ideal range of suitable calibers for elk hunting? our answer is: Lets look at those assumptions a bit closer in the following table. With that said, we have assumed the average hunting distance for elk to be approximately 200 yards. This phenonemon is known as drag or air resistance. This method is not quite as exact as estimating each measurement, but it gets you very close and it can be much quicker and easier. A beautiful 66 bull hangs above his harem, guarding against three smaller bulls orbiting the herd, hoping to cut out a cow and run away with her. Add in the lighter recoil of the .300 Win. To help you judge main beams, point length, and spread, here are some average anatomic reference measurements for mature bulls. That 380 bull with these extras would score around 417. They are attractive, and perhaps that is why they are hunted in different parts of the world for sport. I am working up elk loads with both. Mag. font-size: 18px; Our Genetics are improving each year and our antler average is getting bigger each year. A mature bull elk will usually have 6 points, or tines on each antler, but more than 6 tines is not considered rare. Anybody got pictures? Some come in ultralight rifles for easy mountain hunting, some in extra heavy platforms for stand hunting or longer range shooting. Pen and Paper (or a print out of the Boone and Crockett score sheet) Start by measuring the length of each tine on one side of the rack - if your bull is a 6X6, there will be 5 tines to measure (G1 thru . Is the bull really 40 inside or is he 36? field judging border-width: 1px; The only way to really estimate the inside spread of a bull elk is for him to face you. If you hunt elk in grizzly-infested country, a rifle chambered in .338 is comforting. Here's how to set realistic expectations, get it done, and have a blast. Its phenomenally accurate, pushes aerodynamic projectiles with high sectional densities at reasonable velocities that dont tear bullets to shreds on impact, recoils little, and has proven more capable than it has any right to be. Cloudflare Ray ID: 7a1764766e3627da scoring Tags 2015 Elk Hunt Colorado Elk Hunt Eastmans Ike Eastman About Ike Eastman The tougher the terrain, the lighter. In this case, we have assumed the average muzzle energy for a .280 Remington round is approximately 2790 foot-pounds. Start with 16 G1s and G2s, 12 G3s, 20 G4s, and 12 G5s. The 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08 Remington, and .308 Winchester rifles have 22-inch barrels. It may not display this or other websites correctly. I can make a 280 bull look a lot better with the right pose. So why is it included? slug from the .300 Win. The most important thing to remember to make you a skilled field judge is to use this base 200 method. Check back next week when I go into even more detail and provide indepth examples on field judging elk. Its so common that it may seem a bit boring, but this is probably the most versatile elk cartridge availableso long as you choose the right bullet. Best Ammo (Round, Load, Cartridge) for a Successful Elk Hunt. Mag. Thats a lot of antler! Hit an elk with a 175-gr. Long brow tines usually will follow the nose and then curl or bend upward. You may want to do the same with a taxidermist in your area. 702.847.8747 thanks coondog Aug 10, 2005 #2 Tom New member Joined Jan 22, 2001 Messages 4,985 Location San Antonio, Texas, USA Here's a bunch from 300 to 400+ SCI scoring ones. Like other members of the deer family, the antlers of bull elk grow during spring and summer beneath a hairy skin covering known as velvet. :wink: The other thing is how a bull makes 300. If you think those measurements deviate from the magic number, just add or subtract the differences accordingly. I believe I had 59 or 60 grains of Alliant Reloader 22 pushing that Barnes 3,100 fps, give or take 50 fps. We spot the elk then, on the far side of the canyon and feeding upward. Mag. The resulting cartridge was based on the .30-06 case necked down to 7mm (.284"). Zero both three inches high at 100 yards and at 400 yards they both drop 11.3 inches and deflect about 8.5 inches in that 10 mph breeze. Before modern rangefinders, it was the cartridge of choice for world-traveling hunters who liked its flat trajectory and emphatic impact. The .264 topped out at 140-grains. "Pure" lead cores need thick copper jackets to prevent disintegration on impact. Elk (Wapiti) have standing shoulder heights between 4'-5'7" (122-170 cm), head-to-body lengths in the range of 6'10"-8" (208-244 . As little as .1 percent copper can cause hard spots.) The final arbiters of the Best elk calibers are you and the elk, but here are my top five that I chose for their balance of power, reach, recoil, trajectory (drop and drift,) availability, affordability in reasonably compact, light, mountain ready rifles. Note that most 380 bulls will have 52 to 56 inch beams, and a spread of potentially more than 40 inches. Bulls with straight looking points wont score well. About Press Copyright Contact us Creators Advertise Developers Terms Privacy Policy & Safety How YouTube works Test new features NFL Sunday Ticket Press Copyright . Make sure that you look for curl or lots of curve. Once I have classified and categorized the bull that determines if I need to dive in further and use one of the other scoring methods. After all, this was the round Bell used to collect 800 elephants and untold numbers of Cape buffalo. border-spacing: 0; Your 280 with 150 gr partitions will do just fine on cow elk. Most hunters . font-size: 18px; But dont try to punch a raking shot through a bulls hipit doesnt have the juice for that. Faster models like .270 Wby. It is kind of like shooting a 14 inch antelope. Pictures of dead elk don't do much good. . Download Bull Elk Close Up stock photos. If you add these totals up for main beams, spread, and mass from both sides you get 200 inches. If youre shopping for the perfect elk caliber/rifle, determine how much recoil you can tolerate without flinching and how much rifle weight you might enjoy packing. } A 350 bull must have an average of 16 inches for his G1 through G4 points and 10 inch G5s to be about 350. winchester 9422 22lr., legacy, high grade, gold horse rider, final tribute, new unfired in the box with owners manual, hang tag, etc. These totals amount to 303. Big bulls will have an inside spread of very near to 40 inches and also right around 30 inches of mass per side. For this Feature, weve tapped the eagle eyes of Steve Chappell, one of the best field judging experts in the elk hunting world, producer of the Extreme Bulls video series and owner of Chappell Guide Service. But .300 Win. Mag., 6.5 Weatherby RPM, 6.5-300 Wby. Free ranging bulls of 350+ caliber will cost from $15,000 . Keep in mind that on 66s you dont add the extension of the main beam past the bulls G5 as a sixth point. If zeroed three inches high at 100 yards, that slug should drop just 1.7 inches at 300 yards and deflect just 5.7 inches in a 10 mph right angle wind. The 6.5 Creedmoor is no dragon slayer. worldwide popularity. Mag. What does this mean? vertical-align: top Ask yourself if the bull is young or mature, then move on. Unless you work with a custom gun builder and handload, study factory options before choosing. Sales bloomed immediately when it released. One of the most effective elk calibers available. will handle the .338 Win. Just $1 per month , Find a tough cartridge for one of the most prizedand toughestbig game animals around, We may earn revenue from the products available on this page and participate in affiliate programs. may have inspired Winchester to bring out its marvelous .300 magnum the very next year. some of the bulls we have taken scoring over 400 inches. Hannah Helmer's bull, harvested on the Sept. 24 opener of the elk season in the Hat Creek Unit near Crawford, was officially scored at 430 6/8 on Nov. 30 by Nebraska Game and Parks Commission wildlife biologist Randy Stutheit. You are using an out of date browser. Join F&S+ to read exclusive stories by your favorite writers. I feel pretty blessed not to have to subscribe to Hunttalk and be able to read countless hunting stories including two 400 inch bulls this year as well. The 7mm family hatched around 1892 with the 7x57mm Mauser and has since grown to fifteen or more. background-color: #333333; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; Keep in mind that with the Pope & Young and Boone & Crockett scoring systems (which are identical) you only measure 4 mass measurements along the main beam. As a result, we put too much pressure on ourselves to kill a bull that scores X amount. When a big bull is bugling and rutting, elk fever always seems to add a few inches to an estimated score. Once you estimate the length of the fourth points, move to the fifths and compare them with the fourths to determine their length. Handloaders report optimum performance with a sleek, high B.C., 225-grain bullet pushed to an impressive 2,882 fps from a 24-inch barrel. Probably the most important aspect of field judging bulls is to have a solid, accurate starting place to build from. Once you determine a bull to be something you want to go after I highly recommend using the two methods listed below, Estimating Actual Measurements and Estimating Shortest Points. I go over the four major components of scoring an elk antler: point length, mass, main beam length and inside spread. font-weight: bold; It's also nice to be able to ask hunters questions and even give them crap when needed. Copyright 2000-2023 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Elk (Cervus Canadensis), or Wapiti, are not only one of the world's largest game deer but also one of North America's and East Asia's largest mammals. text-align: center; Good bullet design and placement seem to work just fine. The hunt was donated by Trophy Mountain Ranch, an estate hunting outfitter located near Cowdrey, Colorado. Your IP: If youre one of those all-American .30-caliber guys, get a 30 Nosler precision rifle with a good brake, pair it with a tough, accurate bullet and never look back. So, with the proper balance in mind lets look at a great method for scoring mature bulls on the hoof. font-size: 14px; The main beams will just barely reach his withers. My archery bull from last week goes right around 300, maybe an inch or two below. This bill is 300 with the broken 5th. Field judging elk sized animals you don't often get to see, to me anyway, will be harder than it sounds. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Ya know, after looking at these pics, I think these bulls are bigger than I expected! While not quite reliable, it has its place at times. font-size: 14px; Mag. You should look for at least 4 of curl for a 20 tine). Also pretty good spread and beam length. While growing up in the early 1960s, I lived next to the federal elk refuge in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. If you can hack the recoil, it offers truly impressive energy. An estimated 8,000 to 10,000 elk drop in each year to spend the winter. Hunters looking to break into the B&C minimums or hunters looking to figure out the difference from a 370 bull from a 390 bull all need to dissect a bulls rack long before they decided to pull the trigger. Clearly there is no one right answer. padding: 10px 5px; If you only have one elk on the wall, a bull with six inch forks will "look" big. .tg .tg-xhut { Its superb on elk to 350 yards or a bit more in the hands of a very good rifleman. BUT a 250" 5x5 would be a real nice bull, as long as the price isn't too high! Location. I grew up hunting with one stoked with 150-grain Partition handloads, and I never had a problem cleanly killing a bull. Be aware of straight looking points without much end curve because they are often shorter than you think. How To Score Your Elk. 2023 Western Hunting Application Deadlines, New feature released on Insider Hunt Planner, Point Tracker: Your first step in researching hunts, How to import waypoints from other sources to GOHUNT Maps, Dialing in your fitness now to be ready for fall, Research your way to big bucks with a tool you're probably not using, The ABCs of finding a legit hunting partner. The distance from that hump down his front leg to his hoof is generally 54 to 58, depending on the maturity of the bull. We offer a 100% Authenticity Guarantee on all products sold on our website. Second, I forgot which socks are my lucky ones. However, I took this while bowhunting deer several years ago. could be chambered in the standard Model 70 rifles of the day and eventually most other standard length bolt action rifles. It requires a true magnum-length action, and is hard on barrels. It was my choice when I drew a limited entry Utah tag and dropped a 402 B&C gross (official) non-typical with one 180-grain Federal TBT. Is the .280 Remington a viable caliber/load/round/cartridge for elk hunting? pictures? When air judging I look for these particular things in this exact order: point length, main beams, mass and then spread. No further movement. Thanks to current long-range shooting trends, hunters have more and better options than ever. But that doesnt seem to matter. For somebody from TN who doesbt get to see elk except on tv and in mags it sure would make it hard to judge one in the field. for me. a 300 bull needs to have the 5/6 points close to the same length as the 4th. Now add 152 to our base of 200 and you have a 352 bull. Idaho Elk Outfitters 2113 West 3800 south Rexburg, Idaho 83440 208-313-3634. Las Vegas, NV 89113. Bulls with curvy looking points score well. Bozeman, Montana. Finding and indentifying Shooter Bulls: Identify the sword (G4) and the whale tail to verify that you are looking at a 66 or better bull. Mag. Assumnig it is not deformed,anything with 7-8 inch 5th & 6th and bigger 4ths is going to put you there. Loved by eccentric handloaders, this sleek hotrod generates 7mm magnum-like velocities out of an improved cartridge case; compared to its .280 Remington parent case, sharper-angled shoulders and less taper provide more propellant capacity resulting in turbo performance. We have updated our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy as of May 5th, 2020, http://www.mckenhunting.com/Gallery_23_01.htm, Hunting Montana 2022 and looking forward to 2023, Two new elk hunters, a breath of fresh air, What caliber are you using to get pass through shots on elk. You must log in or register to reply here. When a bull is broadside, you can compare his fourth point to that measurement. To answer the question completely, we would need to evaluate the downrange distance to the elk, the bullet type, the grain weight of the bullet, the physical condition of the firearm, the size of the elk in question, the shot placement, the local wind conditions, the expected accuracy of the shooter, the ethics of the ideal maximum number of shots the list goes on. from a .338 Federal should deliver 1,711 f-p energy at 300 yards and drop just nine inches. } In eight-pound rifles, the 7mm Rem. Lots of folks like .30-caliber magnums for elk hunting, and they work exceptionally well. Any real or perceived failure of the 7mm Rem. Short action chamberings are likely to be in shorter, lighter rifles, so instead of a .338 Win. I have used this bullet for deer hunting and it is the best deer . while Josiah used the 155-grain .280 Ackley . elk Five whopper Pennsylvania bull elk are in this year's state record book, including the new state #1 non-typical, 455-inch bull elk taken in 2020 in Elk County by hunter Duane Kramer. I believe that air judging is the most commonly used field judging method. Please email us if you have questions about any of our product listings. His favorite Mossy Oak camo pattern is Treestand. Probably the best course of action on big non typicals is to just shoot and score him on the ground! A cartridge that starts a slippery bullet with plenty of speed provides flat trajectories and maximum wind-bucking ability. Ditto the .416s, 44s, and 45s. He got a mature bull without issue. When he is facing you, look at the width of his ears. Ya know, those are some fantastic bulls. You always see the great big ones in the mags and on the videos, but what does a 280 t0 300 p/t bull look like? Duck and goose hunters worry that unguided waterfowl hunting in Manitoba could eventually become a thing of the past for most Americans, Sometimesunder some circumstanceshunting is hard to explain. I love to field judge bulls and then score them on the ground to see how close my field judging was to the real thing. Finally, the .280 Ackley Improved is rocketing to western-hunting stardom. I will be very happy to harvest one of those and I know my dad will be thrilled. Youll be much more satisfied with the outcome of most of your elk hunts. What does a 380+INCH Elk look like? Of course those stories exist, and they are not disputed here. No idea why the pic is upside down.just flip your phone. The 9 pointer scored 135 2/8 inches SCI. border-color: #656565; Killing a big bull at a steep quartering angle takes a very good cartridge, topped with a tough, deep-penetrating bullet. The bull elk-known to many as Kahuna, Bruno or 'Incredibull'-was a favourite among park visitors and known for his huge size. From: WapitiBob 20-Apr-12

Religious Exemption For Covid Vaccine Pa Example, Lucy Ewing And Robert Wyatt Death, Aurora Builder Additional Content, Who Was A Famous French Trobairitz?, Articles OTHER