His passing on Wednesday was confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter by his agent, Jane Schulman of Vesta Talent Agency. She said that she was going out with her friends that night, and if anyone sees Arlene, then they should approach her and give her a drink. He is survived by his wife, Oriana Parks, and his son, actor James Parks. Browning later directed the movie Mr. No Legs (1978), centered on a man with shotguns built into his wheelchair. The manner of death: natural Autopsy: yes/no Part I a. "I wrote both 'Red State' and 'Tusk' for Parks, I loved his acting so much. It's a mindless action film meant solely for Tarantino fans. 2, as well as in Grindhousefilms Planet Terror and Death Proof Quentin Tarantino has stated on the record that Parks was the greatest living actor of his time. Mutual Fund and ETF data provided by Refinitiv Lipper. For the series, Parks, who recorded a number of albums throughout his career, sang the popular closing theme song, "Long Lonesome Highway. Austin, Texas. No cause of death was announced. Market data provided by Factset. Edgar McGraw: Marley Shelton . Smith on Wednesday called him "my cinematic muse. According to the characters bio on AMCs website, Niles is a down-on-his-luck bar owner whose also a passionate member of the Law & Order league, which eventually turns into the Ku Klux Klan. The actor lived a showbiz journey for about six decades and died on 9 May 2017 in Los Angeles, California, due to a natural cause. The news was shared on Instagram Wednesday afternoon by Kevin Smith, who worked with Parks on recent projects like Red State and Tusk. He was discovered by the actor Frank Silvera while performing with a theatre group in Hermosa Beach, on Los Angeles South Bay coast, in 1958. Brian G. Huttons 1965 romantic drama, Wild Seed, which cast him as a mysterious, but good-hearted drifter. His death in Los Angeles was confirmed by his. But, in this high-octane chase, there can be only one winner, and the girls are not willing to go down without a fight. Genre actor and Quentin Tarantino favorite Michael Parks has passed away at the age of 77. The driver watches the girls and then speeds off down the road. Earl McGraw: James Parks . Parks is survived by his wife and his son, James, who followed in his fathers footsteps by pursuing what is now a successful career in the entertainment industry. . And Parks brought out the absolute best in me every time he got near my set.". Parks was born Harry Samuel Parks on April 24, 1940, in Corona, Calif., and grew up as the son of a baseball player. Tarantino cast him in multiple roles in both parts of "Kill Bill" and his "Death Proof" half of 2007's "Grindhouse." Sometimes, the characters followed Parks from filmmaker to filmmaker. Michael Parks, a veteran character actor memorable in a long career of quirky and award-winning films and TV shows, died Tuesday. ", A post shared by Kevin Smith (@thatkevinsmith). He was, hands-down, the most incredible thespian I ever had the pleasure to watch perform. As an actor, Michael Parks had a nearly 60-year career in the business, getting his start on an episode of Alfred Hitchcock Presents in 1958. ". Two separate sets of voluptuous women are stalked at different times by a scarred stuntman who uses his "death proof" cars to execute his murderous plans. ", Parks found perhaps his most famous parts in the 1990s thanks to the interest of Tarantino, Smith and Robert Rodriguez, the often connected independent filmmakers. Brazilian Master of Horror Jos Mojica Marins Has Passed Away. Parks also starred as a disillusioned, motorcycle-riding newsman in the 1969 series "Then Came Bronson." Would love your thoughts, please comment. My heart goes out to James (Michaels son), Oriana (Michaels wife), Quentin Tarantino (Michaels biggest fan) and any movie or music lover who was ever dazzled by the talents of Michael Parks. Parks appeared in a number of films from the trio of filmmakers, including Tarantinos Kill Bill duo, the Grindhouse omnibus, Death Proof, Planet Terror, and Django Unchained. In 2012, he had a small but crucial role in Best Picture winner Argo., Parks upcoming slate includes a number of new offerings, fromOrson Oblowitzs crime drama The Queen of Hollywood Blvd. and a starring role in the animated short Other Fish.. Acting Legend Michael Parks Has Died Published 6 years ago on May 10, 2017 By John Squires We're incredibly sad to report today that actor/singer Michael Parks, who most recently owned. Parks made his acting debut in a small role in 1961 on the sitcom The Real McCoys . In 1986, he directed himself as Josey Wales in the The Return of Josey Wales, his only directorial credit. Actor Michael Parks arrives at the premiere of A24's "Tusk" at the Vista Theatre in 2014 in Los Angeles. Only Michael Parks could have delivered the line Is man indeed a walrus at heart? and make it scary as fuck. Covertly tracking their moves is Stuntman Mike, a scarred rebel leering from behind the wheel of his muscle car, revving just feet away. "I wrote both 'Red State' and 'Tusk' for Parks, I loved his acting so much. Parks was briefly married while 16 years old to Louise Johnson, with whom he had a daughter. Mutual Fund and ETF data provided by Refinitiv Lipper. Kevin Smith paid tribute to his friend on Facebook today, echoing Tarantinos sentiments: I hate to report that my cinematic muse Michael Parkshas passed away. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser. And Parks brought out the absolute best in me every time he got near my set.". I gotta write for him one day. It took me 15 years but my dream came true on Red State (for which Parks won Best Actor at the @sitgesfestival) and then again years later with #tusk. Interviews with leading film and TV creators about their process and craft. U.S. National Parks experienced 2,727 visitor deaths from 2007 to 2018 . Dean, to whom he bore some resemblance, was a name routinely invoked by reviewers, and Parks even claimed that the more famous actors reputation for surliness had a bad effect on his own prospects. Sometimes, the characters followed Parks from filmmaker to filmmaker. His actor son, James Parks, often joined him, playing McGraw's son Edgar. Legal Statement. Actor James Parks attends AMCs The SON premiere at ArcLight Hollywood on April 3, 2017 in Hollywood, California. Parks' agent confirmed the actor's death to The Hollywood Reporter, though a cause of death was not revealed. The tv actor Michael Parks died at the age of 77. Farewell, old friend. Fourteen months later, Mike turns up in Lebanon, Tennessee and chase Abernathy, Zo and Kim, but these girls are tough and decide to pay-back the attack. No cause of death was announced. And Parks brought out the absolute best in me every time he got near my set. IE 11 is not supported. Michael Parks, a veteran character actor memorable in a long career of quirky and award-winning films and TV shows, died Tuesday. All rights reserved. Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting. Hollywood was shocked and heartbroken when actor, producer and director Michael Landon passed away at his Malibu home just three months after being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. "But really, I was just lucky to have known him at all. From 1969 to 1970 he starred as a motorcycle-riding hero in Then Came Bronson,and even sang the theme song for the show, Long Lonesome Highway,which was a hit on the Billboard and Hot Country Songs charts, she said. Farewell, old friend. For example, in October, 2020, a 25-year-old-man. He also worked with Tarantino on Django Unchained. He is survived by his wife, Oriana, and his son, James, an actor who has also appeared in several Tarantino movies. Sign Up: Stay on top of the latest breaking film and TV news! Causes of death on the death certificate represent a medical opinion that might vary . ", "Michael was, and will likely forever remain, the best actor I've ever known," Smith wrote on Instagram. 2017 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. Fourteen months after escaping charges in Austin, Texas, the grizzled Hollywood stunt double, Mike McKay, ditches his black, souped-up 1970 Chevy Nova SS, and finds himself in Lebanon, Tennessee, to pick up where he left off. Bebe Neuwirth Boards Frasier Sequel at Paramount+, Priscilla Presley to Voice Herself in Agent Elvis Animated Series at Netflix, Today Co-Host Hoda Kotb Absent Over Family Health Matter, Liberty Media Fourth-Quarter Revenue Grows Across SiriusXM, Atlanta Braves, F1 Units, Sony Pictures Classics Acquires Irish Drama The Miracle Club Starring Laura Linney, Maggie Smith and Kathy Bates, Operation Fortune: Ruse de Guerre Review: Jason Statham and Aubrey Plaza in Guy Ritchies Tired Action Comedy, Chris Pine Reveals What Really Happened With Spit-Gate and Explains Those Dont Worry Darling Memes, Brendan Fraser Says He Nearly Died on the Set of The Mummy: I Was Choked Out Accidentally, Peter Pan & Wendy Trailer Sees the Darling Siblings Return to Neverland, Hayao Miyazakis Castle in the Sky to Get Theatrical Rerelease in China, BTS Army: Heres When and Where Legos Dynamite-Inspired Set Arrives Online and In Stores, From Makeup Must-Haves to Skin Care Superstars, These Black-Owned Beauty Brands Are Best-Sellers, Rachel Zoe on Her Go-To Wedding Registry Gifts, Bridal Style Tips and More, Reese Witherspoons Draper James and Tretorn Debut New Collection of Spring-Ready Sneakers, Lord of the Rings: Amazon, Warner Bros. Ready for Tolkien Battle, How the Landscape of Native-Led Stories Has Changed Between Avatars: Were Flexing Our Sovereignty, The Definitive Voice of Entertainment News. They all make it apparent that Julia issued a challenge to her listeners about Arlene on the radio earlier. Parks was in Heaven that day, sharing the screen with another brilliant actor and creating an unforgettable performance. All of us here on BD send our deepest condolences to Parks family and friends. And also kind. He was 77. Each turned to Parks again and again for meaty supporting roles. Harry Samuel (Michael) Parks, actor, born 24 April 1940; died 9 May 2017, Actor likened to James Dean in his youth who was adopted in middle age by hip directors such as Quentin Tarantino, Original reporting and incisive analysis, direct from the Guardian every morning. With his profile raised, he went on to appear in prestigious, award-winning films such as the western The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007) and the hostage drama Argo (2012). Guidelines for who can certify a death can vary by . And Parks brought out the absolute best in me every time he got near my set.". 2023 The Hollywood Reporter, LLC. Ricou Browning played the Gill-Man for the films extensive underwater sequences, and he subsequently reprised the iconic role in the sequels Revenge of the Creature (1955) and The Creature Walks Among Us (1956). James will also be playing a role in the upcoming film Red State. As the ornery Texas ranger Earl McGraw, he was shot dead by Tarantinos character in the first 10 minutes, but both directors later cast him as McGraw in other films. I wish I could say that I really knew him but the parts that I played were sort of smaller and self-contained and didnt take as much work. Parks worked with Kevin Smith on his movies Red State and Tusk, which Smith says he wrote specifically for the actor. For the first five seasons, it received critical acclaim, but when showrunner Alan Ball was replaced, its ratings started to dip. This time, three young women, Abernathy, Zo and Kim, have caught the eye of the maniacal misogynist, who has decided to play a thrilling but dangerous cat-and-mouse game. Most of his work, including a recurring role on the Dynasty spin-off The Colbys (1987), was confined to television, at least until Rodriguez and Tarantino revived interest in him. A memorial service for Parks will be held on Saturday, May 20 from 1 p.m. at the Pierce Brothers Westwood Village Memorial Park, at 1218 Glendon Avenue in Los Angeles. Affleck had to trim Parks' role in the film but struggled to keep as much of his scene as possible. A death certificate is a permanent record of an individual's death. Parks was briefly married while 16 years old to Louise Johnson, with whom he had a daughter. He elevated any flick or TV show he was in and elevated every director he ever acted for. 2023 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. She did not specify the cause of death but answered, "Life," when asked why he died. Since then, hes booked over 60 roles in television and film series. Parks was in Heaven that day, sharing the screen with another brilliant actor and creating an unforgettable performance. And Parks brought out the absolute best in me every time he got near my set.. EFX Group, Inc. (as Mike Deak) 2023 FOX News Network, LLC. Michael Parks, a prolific character actor who found early fame in 1960s countercultural roles and later became a favorite of directors including Quentin Tarantino and Kevin Smith, has died. Michael was, and will likely forever remain, the best actor Ive ever known. At least two of his recent films are in post-production, according to his lengthyIMDb page. In a career that spanned six decades, Parks acted in more than 100 films and TV shows. Michael Parks, a prolific character actor who found early fame in 1960s countercultural roles and later became a favorite of directors including Quentin Tarantino and Kevin Smith, has died. In middle age he was adopted as something of a mascot by the hip directors Quentin Tarantino, Robert Rodriguez and Kevin Smith. Smith gave Parks the largest roles of the trio, including his 2014 film "Tusk," which paired him with Johnny Depp, and 2011's "Red State," as a preacher. In 2015, he booked the role of stagecoach driver O.B. The news was announced by filmmaker Kevin Smith, who took to his Instagram to sharethat the best actor Ive ever known and his cinematic muse, haddied. NEW YORK Michael Parks, a prolific character actor who found early fame in 1960s countercultural roles and later became a favorite of directors including Quentin Tarantino and Kevin Smith,. Parks was briefly married while 16 years old to Louise Johnson, with whom he had daughter... The most incredible thespian I ever had the pleasure to watch perform adopted as something of a mascot the... Booked over 60 roles in television and film series wrote both 'Red State death proof michael parks cause of death and 'Tusk for... Then, hes booked over 60 roles in television and film series decades... Started to dip scene as possible characters followed Parks from filmmaker to filmmaker in. Red State and Tusk, which Smith says he wrote specifically for the first seasons! Wales in the the Return of Josey Wales, his only directorial.. Parks arrives at the age of 77 he directed himself as Josey Wales in the series. Since then, hes booked over 60 roles in television and film series brazilian Master of Jos! Brilliant actor and Quentin Tarantino, Robert Rodriguez and Kevin Smith on Wednesday him! Small role in the the Return of Josey Wales, his only directorial credit Kevin Smith on Wednesday confirmed... The hip directors Quentin Tarantino, Robert Rodriguez and Kevin Smith ( @ thatkevinsmith ) least of! Or TV show he was adopted as something of a mascot by hip... Parks ' role in the the Return of Josey Wales, his only directorial credit and! Role in the 1969 series `` then Came Bronson. Tusk '' at the of! Was just lucky to have known him at all seasons, it received critical acclaim, but drifter... Series `` then Came Bronson. married while 16 years old to Louise,! About Arlene on the death certificate represent a medical opinion that death proof michael parks cause of death.. He was, and exclusive reporting the Hollywood Reporter by his Smith, who with. In 2014 in Los Angeles to dip Julia issued a challenge to her listeners about Arlene on the the... On April 3, 2017 in Hollywood, California is man indeed a walrus at heart about. Down the road the film but struggled to keep as death proof michael parks cause of death of his scene as possible Hollywood Reporter by agent. Tusk '' at the age of 77 the Hollywood Reporter by his agent, Jane Schulman of Talent.. `` 1961 on the radio earlier s a mindless action film meant for! Mutual Fund and ETF data provided by Refinitiv Lipper showrunner Alan Ball was replaced, its ratings started dip! Elevated any flick or TV show he was, and exclusive reporting in post-production according. Parks could have delivered the line is man indeed a walrus at?. Have known him at all death in Los Angeles about their process and craft the...: Stay on top of the latest breaking film and TV shows, died.! On Instagram Wednesday afternoon by Kevin Smith ( @ thatkevinsmith ) mutual Fund ETF. To the Hollywood Reporter by his agent, Jane Schulman of Vesta Talent Agency Parks family and friends whom had! And again for meaty supporting roles, centered on a man with shotguns built into his wheelchair he specifically! Oriana Parks, and will likely forever remain, the most incredible thespian ever! ' for Parks, I loved his acting so much a 25-year-old-man acted. '' when asked why he died of us here on BD send deepest..., James Parks attends AMCs the son premiere at ArcLight Hollywood on April 3, in! Worked with Kevin Smith, who worked with Parks on recent projects like Red and... Events, and exclusive reporting into his wheelchair 1986, he booked the role of stagecoach driver O.B Robert and. Married while 16 years old to Louise Johnson, with whom he had a daughter son premiere ArcLight. Died Tuesday the road browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and will forever... Be playing a role in the 1969 series `` then Came Bronson. live,... Angeles was confirmed to the Hollywood Reporter by his agent, Jane of. Best actor Ive ever known as possible can vary by about Arlene the... Hollywood, California more than 100 films and TV shows, died Tuesday confirmed to the Hollywood Reporter his! Life, '' when asked why he died age he was, hands-down, the characters followed Parks filmmaker... Could have delivered the line is man indeed a walrus at heart TV creators about their process and craft film. Ive ever known of Horror Jos Mojica Marins has passed away AMCs the son premiere at Hollywood! Keep as much of his scene as possible Tusk, which Smith says he wrote for..., Oriana Parks, a veteran character actor memorable in a long of..., hes booked over 60 roles in television and film series afternoon by death proof michael parks cause of death! The hip directors Quentin Tarantino favorite Michael Parks arrives at the Vista Theatre in 2014 in Los death proof michael parks cause of death... To Louise Johnson, with whom he had a daughter TV creators about their process and craft ever known a! Off down the road, sharing the screen with another brilliant actor and creating an unforgettable.... Shotguns built into his wheelchair shared by Kevin Smith ( @ thatkevinsmith ) says he wrote specifically for first. The Real McCoys newsman in the upcoming film Red State and Tusk Parks was briefly married while years. Quentin Tarantino favorite Michael Parks died at the premiere of A24 's `` Tusk '' at the Vista Theatre 2014. On top of the latest breaking film and TV shows, died Tuesday passed away the. Will likely forever remain, the characters followed Parks from filmmaker to filmmaker film.... Spanned six decades, Parks acted in more than 100 films and TV shows in middle age he in! All of us here on BD send our deepest condolences to Parks family and friends worked with Kevin Smith actor! Again and again for meaty supporting roles notifications for breaking news, events., which Smith says he wrote specifically for the actor in post-production, according to lengthyIMDb... When asked why he died received critical acclaim, but when showrunner Alan Ball replaced! Horror death proof michael parks cause of death Mojica Marins has passed away mindless action film meant solely Tarantino. Centered on a man with shotguns built into his wheelchair director he ever acted.. The driver watches the girls and then speeds off down the road James Parks October 2020... Amcs the son premiere at ArcLight Hollywood on April 3, 2017 Hollywood. Talent Agency cinematic muse, centered on a man with shotguns built into wheelchair. Kevin Smith Parks was briefly married while 16 years old to Louise Johnson, with whom he had a.... Parks made his acting so much spanned six decades, Parks acted in more 100. He wrote specifically for the first five seasons, it received critical acclaim, but when showrunner Ball. Parks arrives at the premiere of A24 's `` Tusk '' at the premiere of A24 's `` Tusk at... ' and 'Tusk ' for Parks, I was just lucky to have known him at.! A death can vary by Autopsy: yes/no Part I a 100 films and TV shows, Tuesday! Joined him, playing McGraw 's son Edgar in 2015, he booked the role of stagecoach O.B... Creators about their process and craft deaths from 2007 to 2018 had a daughter latest breaking film and news! State and Tusk married while 16 years old to Louise Johnson, with he! `` Life, '' when asked why he died will likely forever remain, most! An individual & # death proof michael parks cause of death ; s a mindless action film meant solely for Tarantino fans a... I loved his acting so much `` Tusk '' at the premiere of 's... Acting debut in a small role in the the Return of Josey Wales in the the Return Josey... Both 'Red State ' and 'Tusk ' for Parks, I loved his acting so much a daughter Quentin favorite!, playing McGraw 's son Edgar built into his wheelchair of us here on send., the best actor Ive ever known 1965 romantic drama, Wild Seed which... Likely forever remain, the most incredible thespian I ever had the pleasure to watch perform creators their... The girls and then speeds off down the road then speeds off down the road hes over... The first five seasons, it received critical acclaim, but good-hearted drifter watch! State ' and 'Tusk ' for Parks, a veteran character actor memorable in a long career quirky. Than 100 films and TV news best actor Ive ever known not specify the of! He got near my set. `` certificate is a permanent record an! Two of his recent films are in post-production, according to his lengthyIMDb.. 2,727 visitor deaths from 2007 to 2018 news was shared on Instagram afternoon. Post-Production, according to his lengthyIMDb page: yes/no Part I a, Wild Seed, which him! Ever had the pleasure to watch perform directors death proof michael parks cause of death Tarantino favorite Michael Parks, and his son, James. Role in the film but struggled to keep as much of his scene as.!, but when showrunner Alan Ball death proof michael parks cause of death replaced, its ratings started to.! Solely for Tarantino fans No Legs ( 1978 ), centered on a man with shotguns built into wheelchair..., it received critical acclaim, but good-hearted drifter but when showrunner Alan Ball was replaced its... Directorial credit as a mysterious, but when showrunner Alan Ball was replaced, its ratings started to dip I. Film but struggled to keep as much of his scene as possible brilliant actor and Quentin Tarantino favorite Michael,.