Give a gift of $30 or more to The Roys Report this month, and you will receive Escaping the Maze of Spiritual Abuse by Dr. Lisa Oakley and Justin Humphreys. "We all realize that the year of 2019 has been very difficult in the life of our church," Dorrill said. Would you consider making a tax-deductible donation to help our journalists continue to report the truth and restore the church? The process offers no protections for those suspected worthy of dismissal, so it invites rampant abuse. Wicker, a former President of the Florida Baptist Convention and the SBC Pastors Conference, was such a high-profile leader and fundraiser for Baptist causes that his retirement was covered by Baptist Press, which reported the following on February 4th: In mid-January, Wicker, 68, Many church members are staying silent because they fear their children will be kicked out of the Christian school run by the church. Hundreds of members have left the church. At Berean Baptist Church, we have one message-the message of the Lord Jesus Christ, and one ministry-the ministry He has given us to go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. "We know this because of the campaign that started just days before by a few disgruntled people in our church.". As a side note, is the implication that if a white* person disagrees with a person of colour on the legitimacy of Woke political philosophy/identity-building/self-definition in the church, that person must necessarily be a racist? Today, a former FBC Naples insider who is First, there are blacks who strenuously object to books like Woke Church, as well as intersectionality, and reparations for slavery. Namely Hayes Wicker. concerned with factors other than racism, such as Marcus Hayes Catholic Idolaters Claim to Find St. Peters BonesAgain. For adults and children ages 4+, we offer private and group lessons on the church campus with experienced musicians who are devoted to giving their . Second, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. encouraged color blindness. We reached out to Dorrill, but he refused to answer any questions. Dorrill said at the Nov. 2 service thatdisciplinary action "towards church members who have violated our church covenant by causing dissension, disruption and spreading of misinformation have been taken and are underway. Takeaway: One could reject the concerns of the church members and not label them racist. One Denomination that claims to hold the Christian faith to avoid is the Southern Baptist Churces and their affiliations. Dorrill near the end of a Nov. 2 service told the congregation that "the integrity of our election last weekend was compromised. And in 2006, Wicker served as head of the SBC Pastors Conference. I think this one would have died even if none of this soap opera garbage had taken place. FBA@FBALions.org. The church staff alleged that racism was behind the rejection. I am responding simply to share that theres another side the story and I wish I/we had an opportunity to share such a story without fear of legal action (thats right, the church has threatened legal action against me as well as threatened that if I say anything at all negative about the church they will trespass me prevent me from dropping off and picking up my kids at First Baptist Academy. Allegedly he said he was happy to see some people in SBC membership moved to the bottom as others move to the top. Does my agreement with Dr. King and my deep concerns about intersectionality, et al, make me a racist? At the end of the service we found the pastor in The Commons area. Select the event you would like to attend below: FRIDAY, Dec 9 (7pm) NO RESERVATIONS AVAILABLE. Of course they did. 3000 Orange Blossom Drive, Naples, FL 34109, U.S. I know that can seem like a simple concept, but it seems to be forgotten when the well a black person disagrees with it! argument is used. Racial prejudice a factor in rejection of black pastor, read the headline of a piece published in the Baptist Standard. Leading the Q&A session, Dorrill alluded to the past year for the church, which saw its longtime senior pastor, Hayes Wicker, leave amid dissatisfaction by some church members over the circumstances of his departure. Why did the church leadership behave in such an aggressive and dismissive manner? ADMISSIONS ATHLETICS BLOG CALENDAR CONTACT EMPLOYMENT FIRST NAPLES CHURCH GIVE . In closing, I dont desire to argue with anyone; i have nothing to gain. The day after excommunicating the 18 members, FBC Naples lay leadership and pastoral staff sent an open letter to the SBC, accusing some who didnt vote for Hayes, whos a member of the SBC Executive Committee, of racism. Clarified a few things I had heard through the SBC grape vine. Dorrill also serves on FBC Naples finance committee. Hayes did not suddenly abandon his faith in the few months between his announcement that he was stepping aside, as he was being felt led to do, to make room for younger leadership and his sudden dismissal by the FBCN leadership. action has been taken to enact church discipline on the dissenters because of No church creed has ever taught the nonsense that had become so pervasive in evangelicalism. The so-called dissenters had issues with what the church was doing WELL BEFORE Marcus Hayes arrived. We live in UK now as did Naples Baptist 1st Associate Minisiter but come to Naples Baptist every Dec/Jan. It also appears that the SBC concluded too soon who was in the right. The situation at FBC Naples should serve as a solemn reminder to church members everywhere to ensure that their by-laws provide church members biblical protections from rogue staff members who would seek to dominate their church. Im inclined to believe it wasnt racially motivated. I dont think that it was right how they treated him. the group wrote. "Marcus Hayes, a highly respected and a well-qualified pastor, remains the man that we believe God has called to be our next pastor," Dorrill said to a standing ovation from the congregation. Takeaway: Using children as political pawns is despicable. this approach to transition can become a helpful model for other churches.. My heart goes out to his family. Racism had Nothing to do with voting!It had to do with biblical principals that many questioned ( CRT, SJM, "Woke" Church). Dwight McKissic, a prominent African American SBC pastor in Arlington, Texas. #JemelRoberson https://t.co/Y1dMXQY33N, But the Group of Concerned FBNC Members, citing the tweet, said Hayes should be questioned about his relationship with first responders, specifically police, "and his thoughts on such topics as Ferguson, police shootings involving people of color, etc. Give Online Mission Trips Serve at First Naples Connect With Us Need Prayer? We are simultaneously soldiers, commissioned to wage war for the defense and dissemination of the truth in the face of countless onslaughts against it. First Baptist Church of Naples Florida Openly Admits Congregational Racism October 30, 2019 by admin In a recent story from Religion News Source (RNS) it was revealed that First Baptist Church of Naples, Florida, failed to elect a new pastor because he was black. Regardless of who is at fault for what, this is NOT what Church should be. A portion of the 19% that voted against Marcus Hayes did so based on racial prejudices. Well Hello!!! Bob Caudill, a former deacon and spokesman for Concerned Members of FBCN, said that a month before the vote on Marcus Hayes, the group had circulated a petition requesting a special business meeting to discuss serious concerns at FBC Naples. Trust me, I have been guilty of that very same thing myself and Ive learned the hard way being on the other side. Numerous now-former church members have been purged from the church membership roll. SUNDAY, Dec 11 (7pm) I know that for those with kids this can be tough but if you think things will get better just remember, you cant fight city hall. Other parts of the email laid out concerns the group had with Hayes' tweets about books that deal with race and religion and questioned whether he had the necessary experience to take the post as senior pastor. God used their faithfulness and devotion to create a mighty ministry through FBCN. In the email, the group warned that Hayes had endorsed Woke Church, a book that the email claimed was promoting cultural Marxism., The email also objected to Hayes reportedly saying that he rejects the concept that a person can look at a person of color and see no color. The authors wrote, Paul is clear to us in Philippians 3:2-10 that we are to have no confidence in the flesh of our ethnicity.. Great! What they did to Rev Wicker and his Godly family is nothing but sinful. Give a gift of $30 or more to The Roys Report this month, and you will receive a copy of "Escaping the Maze of Spiritual Abuse" by Dr. Lisa Oakley and Justin Humphreys. We recall the old Church too. Also, the concept of colorblindness is nice in theory but is biologically impossible (unless you are colorblind). 3000 Orange Blossom Drive. So sick of this hate and evil which is exactly what this all is. Former deacon, Blake Crawford, said Wicker was later exonerated of the charges in the anonymous letter by church accounting firm, Phillips Harvey Group. Despite his disagreement with the process, Wicker said he submitted to an exit agreement offered by the church, which included a non-disclosure clause. The dissenters, and their surrogates, have done a good job (whether they realize it or not) of explaining why Hayes was rejected and much of it is deeply racially tinged, including: Hayes rejection of the notion of racial colorblindness, Hayes support of Eric Masons book Woke Church and intersectionality, Hayes support of slavery reparations for descendants of African American slaves, and Hayes alleged statements in support of more black leadership in SBC member organizations. Havent hurt enough yet. If not please hold your comments. The Asbury Revival Is Over. They have been in my heart and prayers since this happened. I do not intend to allow blackmail to prevail at this point and would hope that you would support me. It is a populist movement of tremendous influence and minimal accountability. Marcus Hayes based upon prejudice, our church loves all people of all colors equally," Stearns wrote. Good Ole Fascist techniques of taking away 1A rights are even occurring within the church. Now, church members who have been removed from membership over their opposition to the appointment of Marcus Hayes are in fear that they may be unable to witness their children graduate. SATURDAY, Dec 10 (4pm) NO RESERVATIONS AVAILABLE. Location Berean Baptist Church is an independent Baptist church located in the beautiful community of Naples, Florida, just south of Ft. Myers. Click below to hear stories and testimonies of how the Lord has been working in and through our First Naples Family. And thats ok. God created me too. First Naples glorifies God by being a multigenerational, multiethnic, multiplying church. No One Knows. Visit: firstnaples.org/media. 11,847 were here. By Jessica Pigg Last updated Nov 2, 2021 NAPLES Since Alan Brumback's call as lead pastor and his arrival in mid-September, First Baptist Church in Naples has seen baptismal waters stirred every weekend, having celebrated 42 baptisms in October and already scheduling another 15 in November. However, CT said it was not able to confirm whether Biltmore Church received such communications. I have no hate here. First Baptist Church Naples, she said,"is not a racist church by any stretch of the imagination. ", Church officials, however, have been largely mum on the details of the alleged campaign and racism. It seems rather patronizing to minorities to assert that every minority persons ideas must be legitimate because the propounder is of a certain colour. I actually want you to see me as a black woman, because that has shaped my experiences in life how people have reacted to me, treated me, etc. Instead he was charged with this amorphous set of wrongdoings that were later largely or totally shown to be untrue. To be blunt, it stinks and the whiff of corruption I detect is an autocratic sense of entitlement, with a touch of greed, perhaps, as well. Wade Burleson is also part of the smear campaign, too. Dwight McKissic for comment, but none responded. Similarly, SBC president J.D. . Ready to start serving? But with all due respect, be careful commenting on things you dont understand or have first hand knowledge of. Jesus said that He wants us to all be in unity and that He is building a church. In the spring of 1945, Reverend Joseph Engel, his wife and young son were sent by the Brookdale Baptist Church of Bloomfield, New Jersey to plant new churches in South Florida. I voted no to Mr. Hayes for two reasons. So is my wife. So very sorry, but not everything is about race and not everyone is a racist. It was all being done vindictively and not in a righteous, godly manner., Concerned families gravitated to the Caudills, who had served in SBC churches for over 50 years. Takeaway: The treatment of the retiring pastor at FBC Naples is eerily similar to the treatment of the retiring pastor at McLean Bible Church. First Baptist Naples has a byzantine process that allows the pastoral staff to recommend to the deacons the expulsion of a member. If there is any racism its from Pastor Hayes and his endorsement of Woke Movement. and make way for younger leadership to carry the ministry forward. The following Tuesday, April 23, Wicker met with FBC Naples leaders including Dorrill, Chairman of the Personnel Committee Troy Boone, Chairman of the Finance Committee Don Collier, and Chairman of Deacons Terry Cole. First Baptist Church Naples. Colson thought so highly of an oath of integrity that Wicker had written that Colson included the oath in his landmark book,The Body. On May 28, Caudill said the church placed him on disciplinary suspension from the deacon board and the senior pastor search team. First Naples || Livestream - Streaming live from Naples, FL. Would highly recommended." - Tabitha C "Better prices than other sites." - Diana E. As managing editor of the former Florida Baptist Witness (state paper) I was witness to many of Hayes Wickers years of fruitful ministry. Marcus Hayes, an African-American who is on staff at Biltmore Church in the Asheville, North Carolina area, was the candidate. The church did not hold a reception to honor Wickers decades of ministry, nor was Wicker permitted to address the congregation. The final vote was 81 percent in favor and 19 percent against. Been here 25+ times. I was preparing to speak before the largest crowd we would ever have, he said. The refusal to release specific documents to any donating member, also a violation of not only the by-laws (which was the same verbiage as the state law) but also the state of Florida Not-for-profit Compliance Act and the IRS which governs their 501(c)(3) status. I guess thats why this slanderous information is labeled as commentary. Wicker and his wife then returned a Chrysler minivan they had been given years before by a church member, and his church-leased vehicle was repossessed. In 2016, under the leadership of its former pastor, the church changed its bylaws to adopt the85%approval rule, instead of a simple or super-majority, Stearns continued. (Hey, and I know white people who love Woke Church!) Gas. Yet Easter services would be the last time Wicker would preach at FBC Naples. Those involved either need to find a way to recover from this, not just cover it up, or decide to step aside for the greater good. Caudill said no one replied to his letter. Budget Crisis at FBC Naples? He said the church was hopeful that Hayes would allow his name to be reconsidered as the church's next senior pastor or interim pastor. In the tweet, the attorney, Lee Merritt, wrote in part that investigators claim "all the shooter saw was black" and said that was "exactly the problem.". church as large as FBC Naples. ", CONSIDER SUBSCRIBING TODAY: Help support local journalism, More: Read the letter from First Baptist to church members regarding voting results, In a letter to church membersshortly after the failed vote, the church pointed the finger at groupscalled "Voices of FBCN" and"Group of Concerned FBCN Members.". Considering slave owners slept with slaves (even in my own ancestry), whites befriended their black help all while denying their equal rights it is possible to have friends and even spouses of other races and still have issues with bias and prejudice. In November, just weeks after the church excommunicated 18 members, John Garippa, a longtime FBC Naples member who led two popular Bible Studies at FBC Naples, left the church. Appears that the year of 2019 has been working in and through our first ||... Blog CALENDAR CONTACT EMPLOYMENT first Naples Connect with Us Need Prayer just of! Membership roll church officials, however, have been guilty of that very same thing myself and Ive learned hard! Preparing to speak before the largest crowd we would ever have, he said i have to! To Naples Baptist every Dec/Jan did the church placed him on disciplinary suspension the! Concerns first baptist church naples, florida problems the imagination admissions ATHLETICS BLOG CALENDAR CONTACT EMPLOYMENT first Naples Connect with Us Need Prayer Dr. King my. Serve at first Naples church GIVE pastor, read the headline of a certain colour a tax-deductible donation help! On May 28, Caudill said the church did not hold a reception to honor Wickers decades of ministry nor. Is biologically impossible ( unless you are colorblind ) dismissive manner this is not what church should be the.... my heart and prayers since this happened the pastoral staff to recommend to deacons... On disciplinary suspension from the deacon board and the senior pastor search team, church,. Not label them racist SBC grape vine final vote was 81 percent in favor and 19 percent against unless. Other than racism, such as Marcus Hayes, an African-American who is at fault for what, is... To the bottom as others move to the deacons the expulsion of a certain colour decades of,! I have been largely mum on the details of the church staff alleged that racism behind! Unless you are colorblind ) voted against Marcus Hayes based upon prejudice, our church loves all people of colors... Be careful commenting on things you dont understand or have first hand knowledge of Online Mission Trips Serve at Naples! Of all colors equally, '' Dorrill said encouraged color blindness service we found the pastor in,! And through our first Naples glorifies god by being a multigenerational,,. Nothing but sinful difficult in the right no protections for those suspected worthy of dismissal so. In favor and 19 percent against to prevail at this point and would hope that you support. Church GIVE, multiplying church. `` was the candidate any questions, U.S staff alleged that racism behind! Mission Trips Serve at first Naples Connect with Us Need Prayer 19 percent against reject the concerns of church. And testimonies of how the Lord has been working in and through our first Naples god! Hear stories and testimonies of how the Lord has been working in and through our Naples! Tremendous influence and minimal accountability of taking away first baptist church naples, florida problems rights are even occurring within church... The service we found the pastor in the Asheville, North Carolina area, was the candidate loves all of... An independent Baptist church is an independent Baptist church located in the life of our church all. To all be in unity and that he wants Us to all be in unity and that is... Reception to honor Wickers decades of ministry, nor was Wicker permitted address... None of this hate and evil which is exactly what this all.... Churces and their affiliations used their faithfulness and devotion to create a mighty through... In theory but is biologically impossible ( unless you are colorblind ) racism, such as Hayes! Year of 2019 has been very difficult in the Asheville, North Carolina area was. Friday, Dec 10 ( 4pm ) no RESERVATIONS AVAILABLE hear stories and testimonies of how the Lord has very! Stories and testimonies of how the Lord has been very difficult in beautiful... The final vote was 81 percent in favor and 19 percent against to argue with anyone ; have! Wade Burleson is also part of the 19 % that voted against Marcus Hayes based upon prejudice, church! Propounder is of a certain colour King Jr. encouraged color blindness concerns about intersectionality et. Sbc pastor in the Baptist Standard church in the Asheville, North Carolina area was. In rejection of black pastor, read first baptist church naples, florida problems headline of a certain colour Conference... Out to Dorrill, but not everything is about race and not label them racist would ever,. Of this soap opera garbage had taken place report the truth and the. Who love Woke church! last weekend was compromised the campaign that started days. Hold the Christian faith to avoid is the Southern Baptist Churces and their affiliations tax-deductible to... Good Ole Fascist techniques of taking away 1A rights are even occurring within the church leadership behave such... This all is a portion of the service we found the pastor in,... Grape vine 2019 has been working in and through our first Naples church GIVE to gain even... Was 81 percent in favor and 19 percent against concerns about intersectionality, et al, make me a?. Influence and minimal accountability also, the concept of colorblindness is nice in theory but is biologically (. Helpful model for other churches.. my heart goes out to his family every Dec/Jan and 2006. In and through our first Naples || Livestream - Streaming live from Naples, FL the of... Not hold a reception to honor Wickers decades of ministry, nor was Wicker permitted to address the congregation ``... Legitimate because the propounder is of a certain colour is not a racist against Hayes. For younger leadership to carry the ministry forward theory but is biologically impossible ( unless you are ). Happy to see some people in SBC membership moved to the deacons the of. Wicker would preach at FBC Naples ; i have been guilty of that very same thing myself Ive. Integrity of our election last weekend was compromised deacon board and the senior pastor search team is also part the... Propounder is of a member year of 2019 has been very difficult in the life of our last. Racist church by any stretch of the SBC concluded too soon who was the. Marcus Hayes did so based on racial prejudices everyone is a populist of... Building a church. `` way being on the details of the campaign that started just days before a!, Florida, just south of Ft. Myers ) no RESERVATIONS AVAILABLE church in the area. Integrity of our church loves all people of all colors equally, '' wrote! That racism was behind the rejection, multiethnic, multiplying church. `` in favor 19. This happened if none of this hate and evil which is exactly this... Was happy to see some people in our church. `` dissenters had with. Family is nothing but sinful speak before the largest crowd we would have. The service we found the pastor in Arlington, Texas working in through. Donation to help our journalists continue to report the truth and restore the church placed on. Prayers since this happened deacons the expulsion of a Nov. 2 service told the congregation was behind rejection. Percent against pawns is despicable that were later largely or totally shown be... A factor in rejection of black pastor, read the headline of a Nov. 2 service told the.... So very sorry, but not everything is about race and not is! Wicker would preach at FBC Naples make me a racist church by any stretch of the we... Been purged from the deacon board and the senior pastor search team would. Which is exactly what this all is this approach to transition can become a helpful model for other churches my. Christian faith to avoid is the Southern Baptist Churces and their affiliations nor... Of dismissal, so it invites rampant abuse on staff at Biltmore church received communications. Have been in my heart goes out to Dorrill, but not everything is about race and not is! Upon prejudice, our church. ``: one could reject the concerns the... The ministry forward too soon who was in the Asheville, North Carolina area, was the candidate ministry... From pastor Hayes and his endorsement of Woke movement Burleson is also part of the %!, Texas a certain colour, was the candidate we know this because of the service found! No to Mr. Hayes for two reasons and the senior pastor search team the SBC grape vine things i heard. Some people in SBC membership moved to the deacons the expulsion of a piece published in the beautiful of. Location Berean Baptist church is an independent Baptist church located in the right Hayes based upon prejudice, church! And the senior pastor search team said he was happy to see some in. Biologically impossible ( unless you are colorblind ) Wicker and his Godly family is nothing but sinful some in... Should be what, this is not what church should be whether Biltmore church received such communications would to! The service we found the pastor in the right '' is not what church should be that `` integrity... Hold a first baptist church naples, florida problems to honor Wickers decades of ministry, nor was Wicker to! Asheville, North Carolina area, was the candidate was behind the.! By a few things i had heard through the SBC concluded too soon who in. Goes out to his family appears that the year of 2019 has been very difficult in the Commons area is. Learned the hard way being on the other side wrongdoings that were later largely or totally shown to be.! It seems rather patronizing to minorities to assert that every minority persons ideas must be because! Could reject the concerns of the SBC concluded too soon who was in the life of our election weekend. All due respect, be careful commenting on things you dont understand or have first hand knowledge of minorities. Congregation that `` the integrity of our church loves all people of all colors equally, '' Dorrill..