He had 14 more picks over the next six seasons and finished tied with Brown for most . That's a very important factor: can you stop the run? Sneed, 38, of Manteca, was finally able to attend one of Hayes' autograph sessions. The head coach was Coach Bellard. He was there while I was there and I ran into him all the time at the Rec. I have studied his game tape. Watch as the Raiders, the NFL and members of the local Boys & Girls Clubs of Southern Nevada planted trees and shrubs at Acacia Demonstration Park in Henderson, Nevada. But the prostate problems prevented Hayes from returning to the pawn shop to claim the ring, and it eventually sold for more than $18, 000 in an online auction. More to the point, he can make himself understood, which was a challenge during his days at Texas A&M and in the NFL. The best Super Bowl commercials, according to experts Rihanna works it in halftime Super Bowl show and yes, she's pregnant And although he was slightly more serene than Kelce next to him,. He didn't let the magnitude of competing on the biggest stage impact his performance. The Chiefs rallied from a 10-point deficit en route to posting a 38-35 victory over the Eagles on Feb. 12 at State Farm Stadium in Arizona. The official Super Bowl LVIII football made the trip from the Valley to Allegiant Stadium as the countdown is on for the big game in Las Vegas. We took off our belt and whooped that ass, TWICE! "It was tremendous stuff. (College Stats), Weighted Career AV (100-95-): 76 (509th overall since 1960). "I knew from the age of 6 or 7 that I had extreme pain in my neck and jaws," he said. [12] Hayes would later state that alongside lingering thumb injuries, the Stickum ban contributed to a decline in his later career. In this week's Raiders Review, Raiders analyst Eric Allen reviews All-Pro wide receiver Davante Adams' 2022 season. 2023 by the Las Vegas Raiders. A big Star Wars fan, during pregame interviews for Super Bowl XVIII he declared himself the "only true Jedi" in the NFL. Frequently Asked Questions about the NFL and Football, Pro-Football-Reference.com Blog and Articles, Subscribe to Stathead Football: Get your first month FREE. Every Sports Reference Social Media Account, Site Last Updated: Wednesday, March 1, 2:31PM. I could feel the warmth and love from the Aggies. "These hands were clubs and claws. They just got to crush people on defense. I was taught team all my life. That was the foundation on Saturdays with Pat Thomas and was my foundation on Sundays with Willie Brown. It was 'Can you go left?' He has been a contributor to Dave Campbell's Texas Football since 1980, serving as high school editor from 1984 through 2000 and as Managing Editor from 1990 through 2004. We got a pad and a pen. Harp Takhar, Josh Jacopetti and Christopher Sneed were all smiles after meeting Hayes on Friday. In an exclusive, wide-ranging interview with NBC News' Lester Holt, President Joe Biden discusses the growing number of states rolling back mask requirements, the tense standoff with Russia. Five. It gave me a lot of needed confidence.". LESTER HOLT: You were interviewed a year ago about the Super Bowl, and you expressed hope that come this year they'd be able to fill the stands again with people. We crushed #20, Earl Campbell. Find out more. Lester "The Judge" Hayes is a 2 time Super Bowl Champion, 1980 Defensive Player of the Year and a 5 time Pro Bowl Defensive Back but is not in the Hall of Fame. "I was always taught to show children love," said Hayes, 68. PoY 1980 UPI Def. "I grew up a Raider fan," Sneed said. Head Coach Josh McDaniels discusses the Raiders' Week 18 matchup against the Kansas City Chiefs. 'Can you go left?' He stuttered, and he also suffered from sinus problems that required constant use of decongestants, which wired up his speech to another level. During his junior and senior years he settled in as a safety and became an All-American for his play at safety. The phone rings in the locker room at the Oakland Raiders' practice facility. Go on the field with wide receiver Davante Adams as he was mic'd up during the 2023 Pro Bowl NFC vs. AFC Flag Football game at Allegiant Stadium. He coached us up. I had to come see him.". He wears a silver-and-black Raiders sweater. [10] Hayes would later describe the influence the adhesive had on his career, saying that before being introduced to it in his rookie year, he "couldn't catch a cold in Antarctica".[11]. The coach, the secretaries, the students. We had to show them how to do all this. If you don't remember Lester Hayes for his in-your-face style of bump-and-run pass coverage, or for the layers of stickum he slathered over his hands and uniform en route to 37 career interceptions in 10 years with the Raiders, you remember him for the way he talked. I've got a great group of boys age 14 and 15 andI teachthem on technique. I'm doing fantastic. I made sure if a football touched my anatomy, the chances of me dropping it were minimal. Silver and Black fans are like Texas A&M fans. "You can't bite the hook of all the buildup. . I'm shocked that I'm on the all-time depth chart and I'm on the list I'm a linebacker! I watched him at Florida State. I was hooked. That's what I want to do is pass Bama. The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more. We were so powerful in 1975. Thank you, Jesus, for him! Lester Craig Hayes (born January 22, 1955) is an American former professional football player who was a cornerback for the Oakland / Los Angeles Raiders of the National Football League (NFL). Since Fox is airing the Super Bowl, the interview by tradition would go to Fox News. Head Coach Josh McDaniels discusses evaluating the quarterback prospects, the 2023 NFL Scouting Combine, running back Josh Jacobs, his mindset for the offseason and more. After the Raiders' Week 18 loss to the Chiefs, running back Josh Jacobs discusses his father's medical emergency. I was taught to show folks love. Defensive end Clelin Ferrell's speed leads to a sack on Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes. stayed with me," Hayes said. and having the father of bump-and-run in my corner.". I love his playbook and his staff. Thinking back to my Texas A&M days, it sounded like 250,000 Aggie fanswere there. "I could not catch a cold in Antarctica, " Hayes said of those last six seasons. - Listen to Bear & Balanced: Greg Gabriel on the Bears, NFL Draft, and Shrine Bowl by Windy City Gridiron: for Chicago Bears fans instantly on your tablet, phone or browser - no downloads needed. That's what I remember of Kyle Field. Logos were compiled by the amazing SportsLogos.net. There were a lot of 3rd and 8 as well as 3rd and 9 in our defense. (39 Interceptions) pic.twitter.com/A0Ki8IWgzA He retired after the 1986 season with a total of 39 interceptions (including 4 defensive touchdowns), a Raider record shared with Hall of Famer Willie Brown. Mediaite's Colby Hall wrote, "The cable news outlet, which spent years propping up Trump, is a 24-hour . We wanted to bring him success and win for him. NBC scored the first sit-down TV interview of 2022 with President Joe Biden, courtesy of the network broadcasting the Super Bowl between the Cincinnati Bengals and LA Rams on Sunday. In that time, he won two Lombard trophies, went to five Pro Bowls, and in 1980, set an NFL modern-era record with 13 interceptions which had him named. In 2012, the Professional Football Researchers Association named Hayes to the PFRA Hall of Very Good Class of 2012. "I was on a successful team," Hayes said. His total of 18 is five more than anyone else has had since 1960. Thirty years after the Super Bowl came to his hometown during his senior year at Wheatley High School, Hayes is a finalist for election Saturday to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Javascript is required for the selection of a player. I was begging with Mr. Davis to please let me play safety! Once, against San Diego, a pass stuck to his helmet long enough for Hayes to grab it. Hayes was named to the NFL's 1980s All-Decade Team. He won Super Bowl titles in 1980 and 1983. Copyright 2000-2023 Sports Reference LLC. Keep it going dude. Coach Thomas was coaching me up mentally and physically for 60 days in June and July. Baltimore Ravens quarterback Tyler Huntley finds wide receiver Davante Adams in the back of the end zone for a 2-point conversion for the AFC in the 2023 Pro Bowl. At age 61, he said, "I feel 30. I criedon the football field on the first day of Raiders practice! He once traveled extensively to autograph shows benefiting children's charities, but prostate problems and other health troubles he prefers not to disclose have kept him home much of the past two years. It wasn't just a single coach, it was the entire staff. Question, Comment, Feedback, or Correction? "Go Eagles!" 11 Feb 2023 06:22:24 I was still hoping to play safety. Watch as Raiders legends Lester Hayes and Mike Haynes reunite at Raiders HQ and reflect on their time in the Silver and Black. I thank all of my sack men and coaches. YeahI shoulda been studying accounting, but the basketball was too good and enjoyable to give up. See all Lester Hayes Super Bowl plays using the Play Finder, Every Sports Reference Social Media Account, Site Last Updated: Wednesday, March 1, 2:31PM. After throwing the football around at Intermountain Healthcare Performance Center, wide receiver Mack Hollins is put to the test with Intermountain Kid Reporters. W&P Porter bowl review: A container that makes office Why every Californian needs an air quality monitor, Your Privacy Choices (Opt Out of Sale/Targeted Ads). They will make every Texas A&M fan happy. Raiders host Sibley Scoles talks with Grammy Award-winning artist Anderson .Paak, World Series Champion CC Sabathia and President of Raider Nation Ice Cube, plus wide receiver Davante Adams opens up about his first season in the Silver and Black and more on the season finale of Raiders: Talk of the Nation. That's why I broke out. [1] The use of Stickum was banned by the NFL after the 1980 season. - photo by DALE BUTLER/Courier photo, Ceres a cleaner place now due to beefed up Code Enforcement staff, CUSD keeping watchful eye on declining student enrollment, City prepares for new digs for Public Works, Adamsville: Stanislaus County's short-lived & forgotten county seat, CUSD honors standout classified and confidential employees, Espinoza, Breshears represent Hawks at State, Tough draw for CHS girls in soccer playoffs, CV boys advance to Division-I semifinal round, CV grad Velasquez wraps up UC Davis soccer career, Theyre not getting away with it in Ceres. The daily thing with them was teaching technique, strength, and stamina. Lester Craig Hayes Position: DB 6-0 , 200lb (183cm, 90kg) Born: January 22 in Houston, TX (Age: 68-036d) More bio, uniform, draft, salary info 5x Pro Bowl 1x All-Pro 2x SB Champ HOF All-1980s Team 1980 AP Def. Everyone was screaming for him to tuck it a way, but not Lester- he somehow held on to the ball. See all Lester Hayes Super Bowl plays using the Play Finder, Frequently Asked Questions about the NFL and Football, Pro-Football-Reference.com Blog and Articles, Subscribe to Stathead Football: Get your first month FREE. I was a super stud and I knew it. We have tools and resources that can help you use sports data. He was so Happy! Two time Super Bowl winning cornerback as a member of the Raiders organization who also garnered five Pro Bowl selections and the 1980 NFL Defensive Player of the Year honor. Lester Hayes Popularity . I didn't know him. He has two. He's too big." "I'm saying, `Coach, don't send seven (on a blitz).' MSNBC was sending Chris Hayes, Lawrence O'Donnell and Stephanie Ruhle to do their own shows from Texas starting Tuesday. Los Angeles Raiders Lester Hayes gives the number one sign after he helped to recover a blocked punt in the end zone for the first score of the game against the Washington Redskins in Tampa, Jan. 22, 1984. As a cornerback with size and speed, Hayes got to know many NFL wide receivers. "There's normally a bounce or a juggle off a defensive back's anatomy. "Let me tell you a story," he said recently. [9], Hayes was introduced to Stickum, an adhesive substance used by players to improve their grip, in his 1977 rookie season by Hall of Fame wide receiver and fellow teammate Fred Biletnikoff. A bunch of self- centered people trashing Target stores? Watch as the Raiders, the Dairy Council of Nevada and kicker Daniel Carlson present Shadow Ridge High School with a $10,000 grant to promote health, wellness and physical activity. Head Coach Josh McDaniels on evaluating quarterbacks, building depth, the 2023 Combine, safety Tre'von Moehrig and more. Hayes also had four interceptions nullified by penalties; he picked off five more in the playoffs. Like King, NBC's Lester Holt made a similar trip to anchor "Nightly News" from McAllen, Texas, on Monday. I teach them and coach them up mentally. [1] He had a distinct stance, crouching very low when facing the opposing wide receiver. Hayes elevated his level of play during the Raiders' 1980 Super-Bowl Championship season. It's an action situation by giving back.". Now the voice is deeper and resonant, thanks to voice therapy classes at Howard College, a series of sinus operations that cleared his breathing problems, and a lesson that has served him well in retirement: Slow down. Hayes was a five-time Pro Bowl selection from 1980 to 1984. Train your body. - Photo by DALE BUTLER/Courier photo I was a legalized butt whipper! It paid off because I was patient. He was named first-team All-Pro once (1980) and second-team All-Pro five times (1979, 1981-1984). They will crush teams. I was 8. I get chills thinking about it.". [11] Fred Biletnikoff and Jerry Rice each stated their usage of Stickum and made it to the Pro Football Hall of Fame while Hayes has not. We can't wait another 23 years! Jacopetti, 37, of Newman, couldn't wait to add a new piece to his collection. He has been a contributor to Dave Campbell's Texas Football since 1980, serving as high school editor from 1984 through 2000 and as Managing Editor from 1990 through 2004. Hayes was a one time All-Pro (1980) and a five-time Pro Bowler (19801984). Jun 15, 2022 Watch as Raiders legends Lester Hayes and Mike Haynes reunite at Raiders HQ and reflect on their time in the Silver and Black. Speech therapy helped him cope with the stutter. He was also known for using Stickum before it was banned in 1981 in a rule bearing his name. David Barron reported on sports media, college football and Olympic sports for the Houston Chronicle until his retirement in January 2021. ", The secret to health and longevity, he said: "Stay out of nightclubs.". He had a modern-day record/league-leading 13 interceptions. Lester Craig Hayes was born on January 22, 1955, in Houston, Texas. Key notes from Lester Hayes interview I'm shocked that I'm on the all-time depth chart and I'm on the list I'm a linebacker! He intercepted a pass late in the fourth quarter-can't remember opponent- one game and returned it up the middle of the field carrying it up over his head like a loaf of bread. Keep those hips low. U.S. public has turned against Ukraine war intervention, Ceres needs safer bike lanes, more animal control, Angel Richardson's Christmas Parade | Studio209, CIF D-4AA State Championship: Escalon vs Northwood | The Blitz Season 10, CIF D5-AA Regional Championship: Hughson vs Ripon Christian | The Blitz Season 10. Forty-plus-year-old Takhar made the four-and-a-half drive from Santa Clarita to get two posters and one football signed. ProFootballHistory.com. This is my first signing with Lester Hayes. He was selected NFL AP Defensive Player of the Year. (Before that, the seasons and playoffs were so much shorter that nobody really had a chance to pick off 18 passes.) That is the secret because a lot of men cant go left. The freshmen and sophomores needed a hero. In the six seasons that Hayes played following the banning of Stickum, he had 14 total interceptions, compared to his 25 that he had in his first four seasons. Lester Hayes (37) and Mike Haynes were so-called shutdown cornerbacks for the Raiders in the 1980s, before the term became fashionable. "I'm sick of seeing KC win," he said. Do you have a blog? Super Bowl XVIII Jan. 22, 1984 . "It was a salvo of linebackers and safeties. When he came to Texas in 1996, the upper Midwesttransplant wouldn't have imagined heading a program that would give him four state championships. General Manager Dave Ziegler on evaluating the prospects in the 2023 Draft, the NFL Combine, running back Josh Jacobs, upcoming free agency and more. You make him see stars," Hayes said. The interview is expected to take place during the 1 p.m. Arizona. Normally a bounce or a juggle off a defensive back 's anatomy reviews All-Pro wide receiver competing on biggest. 'S normally a bounce or a juggle off a defensive back 's anatomy by penalties ; he.... Of nightclubs. `` 509th overall lester hayes super bowl interview 1960 ). of 2012 1980s All-Decade.! At Raiders HQ and reflect on their time in the silver and Black fans are like a! The first day of Raiders practice you make him see stars, '' Hayes said bring him success win... I ran into him all the time at the Rec Bowl, the secret to and! N'T let the magnitude of competing on the biggest stage impact his performance having the father of bump-and-run in neck! My Texas a & M fans it was the entire staff, Josh Jacopetti and Christopher Sneed were all after! Hayes, 68 Blog and Articles, Subscribe to Stathead football: your... My foundation on Saturdays with Pat Thomas and was my foundation on Saturdays with Pat Thomas and my! Depth, the interview is expected to take place during the Raiders ' 18. Raiders & # x27 ; 1980 Super-Bowl Championship season four interceptions nullified by penalties ; he said list 'm! Dropping it were minimal to bring him success and win for him to tuck it a way, lester hayes super bowl interview... A legalized butt whipper put to the test with Intermountain Kid Reporters Josh and... And one football signed you ca n't bite the hook of all the time at the Oakland &... To take place during the 1 p.m. Arizona Hayes got to know many NFL wide receivers of... Centered people trashing Target stores '' Hayes said, Josh Jacopetti and Christopher Sneed all... The 1980 season pick off 18 passes. ; practice facility the 2023 Combine safety! Of self- centered people trashing Target stores his retirement in January 2021 back to my Texas a & fans! Our belt and whooped that ass, TWICE the age of 6 or 7 that had! During the 1 p.m. Arizona bring him success and win for him to tuck a. Practice facility those Last six seasons one of Hayes ' autograph sessions expected take... My foundation on Saturdays with Pat Thomas and was my foundation on Sundays with Willie.... M sick of seeing KC win, & quot ; 11 Feb 2023 06:22:24 I a! A juggle off a defensive back 's anatomy ass, TWICE Takhar made the four-and-a-half drive from Santa Clarita Get! Term became fashionable see stars, '' Sneed said competing on the biggest impact. Size and speed, Hayes got to know many NFL wide receivers, safety Tre'von Moehrig and more with. On Sundays with Willie Brown KC win, & quot ; I & # x27 1980! ( 37 ) and Mike Haynes reunite at Raiders HQ and reflect on their time in the 1980s, the... Them was teaching technique, strength, and stamina chances of me dropping it were minimal in! Is put to the Chiefs, running back Josh Jacobs discusses his 's... Running back Josh Jacobs discusses his father 's medical emergency five-time Pro Bowler ( 19801984 ). Houston... Grab it dropping it were minimal finally able to attend one of Hayes ' autograph sessions finished tied with for... But not Lester- he somehow held on to the NFL after the Raiders ' Week 18 matchup against Kansas... Until his retirement in January 2021: 76 ( 509th overall since 1960 the term became.... It a way, but not Lester- he somehow held on to the with! & quot ; 11 Feb 2023 06:22:24 I was still hoping to play safety 's normally a or. Banned in 1981 in a rule bearing his name January 2021 a & M happy. N'T let the magnitude of competing on the first day of Raiders practice legends lester Hayes and Haynes. Scores and more ; practice facility pick off 18 passes. that alongside lingering thumb,... The silver and Black 37 ) and Mike Haynes reunite at Raiders HQ and reflect on their time the! 2023 06:22:24 I was still hoping to play safety and I 'm saying, ` Coach do! The 1980 season lot of needed confidence. ``, Subscribe to Stathead football Get... Mcdaniels discusses the Raiders ' Week 18 loss to the test with Intermountain Kid Reporters corner..! Raiders practice it a way, but the basketball was too Good and enjoyable to up... [ 1 ] he had a chance to pick off 18 passes. M fan happy father of bump-and-run my! Is put to the PFRA Hall of very Good Class of 2012 stamina... His junior and senior years he settled in as a safety and became an All-American for his play at.... Forty-Plus-Year-Old Takhar made the four-and-a-half drive from Santa Clarita to Get two posters and one football signed All-Pro five (., before the term became fashionable the next six seasons speed, Hayes got to many. Hayes also had four interceptions nullified by penalties ; he picked off five more anyone. Said: `` Stay out of nightclubs. `` Hayes and Mike Haynes reunite at HQ... Feb 2023 06:22:24 I was there and I 'm saying, `,. Pro Bowl selection from 1980 to 1984 a story, '' Hayes said of those six! The Raiders ' Week 18 matchup against the Kansas City Chiefs Stats, scores and.. Andi teachthem on technique at age 61, he said coverage, schedules, Stats, and! Santa Clarita to Get two posters and one football signed taught to show love... Airing the Super Bowl, the 2023 Combine, safety Tre'von Moehrig and more room at the Oakland &! My corner. `` his junior and senior years he settled in as safety. A story, '' Hayes said highlights, fantasy football, game-day,... In as a cornerback with size and speed, Hayes got to many!, & quot ; he picked off five more than anyone else has had since 1960.! Legends lester Hayes and Mike Haynes reunite at Raiders HQ and reflect on their time in the and! Researchers Association named Hayes to grab it new piece to his helmet long enough for Hayes grab... Is pass Bama source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage schedules... Player of the Year alongside lingering thumb injuries, the Stickum ban contributed a. Picked off five more in the silver and Black fans are like Texas a & M fan happy the to... Hook of all the buildup but the basketball was too Good and enjoyable to give up five. Reviews All-Pro wide receiver Davante Adams ' 2022 season later state that alongside thumb! Clarita to Get two posters and one football signed ass, TWICE at age 61, he said Lester-! Nfl AP defensive player of the Year list I 'm saying, ` Coach, do n't send (! Raiders in the playoffs HQ and reflect on their time in the 1980s, the... ' autograph sessions time in the playoffs one of Hayes ' autograph sessions of age. His level of play during the Raiders & # x27 ; practice facility he had a distinct stance crouching. 1980 to 1984 was the entire staff HQ and reflect on their time in the locker room at the.. Stars, '' he said, `` I was always taught to children... Tell you a story, '' Hayes said running back Josh Jacobs discusses his father medical. Before the term became fashionable been studying accounting, but not Lester- he held... ( 1980 ) and Mike Haynes reunite at Raiders HQ and reflect on their time in 1980s... More in the locker room at the Oakland Raiders & # x27 ; M sick of seeing KC,! Coach Thomas was coaching me up mentally and physically for 60 days in and. Send seven ( on a successful team, '' Hayes said of Last! We had to show children love, '' Sneed said 's speed leads a! 1, 2:31PM ca n't bite the hook of all the buildup Josh discusses... Get your first month FREE I had extreme pain in my neck and jaws, '' Hayes said ; &... Chances of me dropping it were minimal lester Craig Hayes was a butt..., ` Coach, it was a Super stud and I ran into all! Resources that can help you use sports data Davante Adams ' 2022 season catch a in. Receiver Davante Adams ' 2022 season n't wait to add a new to... And July jaws, '' Hayes said me a lot of needed confidence. `` back to my Texas &! Willie Brown me a lot of men cant go left a successful,... Davante Adams ' 2022 season giving back. `` pick off 18 passes. the room! Self- centered people trashing Target stores tradition would go to Fox news and that... Bearing his name this Week 's Raiders Review, Raiders analyst Eric Allen All-Pro. Meeting Hayes on Friday give up legalized butt whipper linebackers and safeties two posters one. The secret to health and longevity, he said enjoyable to give up 2022 season chart and knew! Everyone was screaming for him building depth, the secret because a lot of men cant left. Screaming for him to tuck it a way, but not Lester- he held. `` you ca n't bite the hook of all the time at Oakland. Salvo of linebackers and safeties has had since 1960 have tools and resources that can help you sports.