More: Two more suspects charged in series of Paterson planned shootings from May. Thursdays incident isthe 49thshooting this year in Paterson. "I've lived here so long, you kind of get used to it. var dt = new Date(); READ MORE:2 Paterson Cops Charged With Assaulting 19-Year-Old, Filing False Police Report. Shooting streak continues: Paterson fatal shooting points to grim total for 2021; prosecutor asks public for help. As CBS2's Nick Caloway reported Sunday, a shortage of police officers could be to blame for the spike in violence. if (y < 1000) y +=1900; Getting shot didnt scare the younger Origene off the streets, his father said. This is the 4th homicide in Paterson in 2021 while the mayor spends his days, of late, on a self promoting tour at the Paterson vaccine site while the city continues in a crime and drug infested downward spiral. He completely The NJ AG and Governor should be ashamed of themselves. Sie knnen Ihre Einstellungen jederzeit ndern. Medical examiners were also there. He completely The police told me to back away. WebThis is an absolute outrage. var y = dt.getYear(); Several people involved in the altercations were placed in handcuffs, sources said. I saw a whole lot of police cars come and then an ambulance came. They told him to see the police, the father recalled. While the investigation remains ongoing, prosecutors assured residents there is no threat to the community. Paterson Press 0:00 1:45 One man was killed and another injured in a Sunday night shooting that happened across the street from the south Paterson police Woman shot multiple times, killed in Paterson. "This is heart-wrenching.". PATERSON, N.J. (CBSNewYork) -- Police are investigating a double shooting in Paterson that left one woman dead and a man hurt. A 35-year-old local woman was found dead in an alley off Butler Street in the early morning hours on Sunday. Stevens Origene, 22-year-old, was located in a Jeep Cherokee that had several bullet holes and had struck another vehicle on East 21st Street near 21st Avenue at around 7:34 p.m. Origene was seated in the drivers seat of the Jeep with apparent gunshot wounds, police said. He was wounded six timeslast July in a shooting near the corner of Godwin Avenue and Straight Street, according to his father and police. Cop accused of unprovoked attack released from jail, Your California Privacy Rights / Privacy Policy. WebThis is an absolute outrage. 'We serve anyone': Teaneck brothers expand their meals charity to Paterson. PATERSON Two shootings happened about an hour apart in high-crime areas of the city Wednesday night, pushing the number of people injured in Patersons gun violence in the past six days to 12, according to law enforcement officials. Paterson news: Paterson's population grew by 9%, 2020 census results show, Lawsuit: Should Bergen pizzeria be accountable for hot marinara that burned woman? Paterson news:Cop accused of unprovoked attack released from jail. "In spite of this violent surge, we have seized over 200 guns, which is more than we confiscated last year and we have reduced the number of shootings as well. Around 2:50 a.m., Paterson police responded to a call and discovered Elijah Wilson lying on the corner of East 18th Street and Fulton Street suffering from gunshot wounds, the Passaic County Prosecutors Office stated. Video: COVID vaccine site prioritizes Paterson, Passaic and Prospect Park residents. N.S.F.W. var dayNames = new Array("Sunday","Monday","Tuesday","Wednesday","Thursday","Friday","Saturday"); The AG provided moronic statements in his press conference. The residents of Paterson should demand more of the administration AND demand more of themselves. // -->. It happened in a year North Jersey crime: 'In a hurricane': Bergen killings underscore spike in domestic violence amid pandemic. Adams was found on the sidewalk with gunshot wounds at about 6:51 p.m. and was pronounced dead at 7:10 p.m., police said. One man was killed and another injured in a Sunday night shooting that happened across the street from the south Paterson police substation, resulting in the citys 19th homicide of 2021, police said. Police said she had multiple gunshot wounds. The councilman said he plans to expedite a town hall community meeting about public safety issues in the 6th Ward. Stevens The victim, 25-year-old Jasmin Wel, became the 28th person killed in the city this year. This article originally appeared on NorthJersey.com: Paterson NJ homicide record set for second-straight year, Paterson student files sexual abuse lawsuit against former School 8 teacher, Paterson NJ homicide record set for second-straight year, Chicago police chief, U.S. attorney resign after Mayor Lori Lightfoot loses reelection. I was glad they did because I realized I did not want to see what happened.. The victims 20-year-old Paterson man, 22-year-old Wallington man, 18-year-old Paterson man, and 24-year-old Paterson woman sustained non-fatal gunshot To get breaking news directly to your inbox,sign up for our newsletter. The incident unfolded in the Peoples Park neighborhood where shootings are not commonplace. All Lives matter. As of Thursday afternoon, no one hadbeen arrested in Thursdays incident. The Passaic County Prosecutors Office urges anyone with information about the deaths to contact its tips line at 1 (877) 370-PCPO or tips@passaiccountynj.org, or contact the Paterson Police Detective Bureau at (973) 321-1120. // Y2K compliant A man who described himself as a cousin of one of the victims said the woman was pregnant at the time she was killed. The NJ AG and Governor should be ashamed of themselves. PATERSON Morenia Acosta had some doubts when, at the age of 21, she immigrated to Paterson from the Dominican Republic in 2016, leaving her parents and sisters behind. The younger Origene became the citys fourth homicide victim of the year after he was shot multiple times Thursday night while driving a Jeep through Patersons 6th Ward, near the corner of 21st Avenue and East 21st Street. Paterson is supposed to have 418 officers under its table of organization, but the city has fewer than 400, officials said. Can they? Instead, the shootings have continued at a high rate, putting Paterson on a pace this year to surpass the record-setting numbers of homicides and gun incidents the city endured in 2020. Authorities said the children were not physically injured in the incident. Courts to decide. Copyright 2012-2023 Paterson Times all rights reserved. The city is hanging on to about 400 officers. None of the homicides happened in the 2nd or 3rd wards. The killing raises the number of homicides in Paterson this year to 26. PATERSON, N.J. (CBSNewYork) -- There was a deadly police-involved shooting in Paterson on Wednesday night. Fr nhere Informationen zur Nutzung Ihrer Daten lesen Sie bitte unsere Datenschutzerklrung und Cookie-Richtlinie. Here's why. Law enforcement sources say rival drug dealers have been battling for the lucrative heroin market in the Summer Street area ever since a state Attorney General's Office crackdown last autumn weakened a Crips-connected gang that operated a block away. State and city law enforcement officials do not have homicide data available from before 1990. The shootings and murders are now affecting neighborhoods in all corners of the city: Eastside, Westside and now 21st Avenue! PATERSON The outbreak of gun violence plaguing a short stretch of Summer Street claimed another victim Sunday night when a 45-year-old city man was fatally shot, authorities said. While the investigation remains ongoing, prosecutors assured residents there is no threat to the community. The killing raises the number of homicides in Paterson this year to 26. In 2020, Paterson endured its highest number of homicides in more than 30 years, with 27 people killed in the city. Please enter valid email address to continue. The recent surge of gun violence pushed the number of shootings in 2021 to 58, incidents in which 10 people were killed and 83 injured, according to data compiled by Paterson Press. In 2020, Paterson endured its highest number of homicides in more than 30 years, with 27 Investigators learned of a second victim in the incident later when an 18-year-old man arrived by private vehicle for treatment of a gunshot wound at Hackensack University Medical Center. I think things are getting worse here.. In 2020, Paterson police said they seized about 200 guns, and city officials say they have been confiscating weapons at an even higher rate this year. I live 10 blocks from here now but for a long time, I used to live right by here. Paterson has had 108 shootings so far this year, incidents in which 20 people were killed and 132 injured, according to Paterson Press statistic. The NJ AG and Governor should be ashamed of themselves. WebThis is an absolute outrage. The shooting happened hours after Mayor Andre Sayegh held a ceremony to swear in Patersons seven newest cops. But since.this is another youth murdered in Paterson then no one cares because the murderer was not White nor an officer. In 2020, through April 25, Paterson had four homicides and 14 shootings. "They threatened to shoot me if they would see me in this area," cab driver Frank Quattrocchi said. Hesaid he waited two hours at police headquarters before he was finally toldhis son had been killed. Bergen man challenges long-time U.S. ban. I'm always watching my back as I step out the door," Torres said. PATERSON A man sitting in his car at noon in downtown Paterson on Thursday suffered a non-fatal gunshot wound when he was struck by a bullet intended for someone else, authorities said. Thursdays homicide happened despite the fact that there has been a recent lull in Patersons gun violence. Three times in recent months, Paterson police have conducted large-scale drug busts in the area, each operation resulting in the arrests of more than a dozen suspected dealers and alleged buyers. Sources said it appeared that the man shot the woman first and then turned the gun on himself. Dies geschieht in Ihren Datenschutzeinstellungen. I ran out of my apartment in the back of my house to see what was happening, the woman said, recalling the gunfire. During October and November, the total number of shootings in the city was nine, a sharp reduction compared to previous months. Seven families in new homes hope to live in peace on dangerous Paterson street. Five of the victims all city residents were struck by bullets at Hamilton Avenue and Rosa Parks Boulevard in the 4thWard just before 9:30 p.m., and one man was injured in the second shooting at about 10:30 p.m. near East 28thStreet and 17thAvenue in the 5thWard, authorities said. "Absolutely not. But open-air drug sales still take place morning, afternoon and night on Summer Street. Sunday's homicide follows a double shooting just last week in Eastside Park. strengths and weaknesses of interpersonal communication; importance of set design in theatre; biltmore forest country club membership cost. We seized several guns over the weekend. So far in 2021, Paterson has had seven homicides and 33 shootings, according to data compiled by Paterson Press from news releases issued by the Passaic County Prosecutors Office. In 2020, through April 25, Paterson had four homicides and 14 shootings. I was not scared but I didnt want to stop and see what happened, either., Escobars wife, Erica Ion, is one of the many Colombian immigrants who live in thehomes clustered on side streets near 21st Avenue. Bergen man challenges long-time U.S. ban, record-setting numbers of homicides and gun incidents the city, Your California Privacy Rights/Privacy Policy. She was found with gunshot wounds at about 8:20 p.m. and taken to St. Joseph's University Medical Center where she was pronounced dead, the Passaic County Prosecutor's Office stated. May 23, 2021 / 11:44 PM Life on Hamilton Avenue:Seven families in new homes hope to live in peace on dangerous Paterson street. The shooter apparently was aiming at another vehicle driving through the area, according to a release issued by Passaic County Prosecutor Camelia Valdes. All rights reserved. I heard six shots ring out, he said. They can also contact the Paterson Police Detective Bureau at 973-321-1120. It happened in a year where shootings are on the rise in the city. No matter what race us minorities need to wake up and stop the violence,